Sunday, August 02, 2009

If You Agree, Pass it On!

If not, suffer the consequences!

I’m sure everyone gets these types of emails. I get them all the time. Mostly I get them from well meaning people that are upset on some level about some issue. I could probably categorize them into a few categories:

Illegal immigrants
The Baracalypse
God and / or Country
Gun Rights

Now, it’s not that I think that these emails aren’t interesting. Most of them are a re-hash of some other email that may or may not contain truthful information. More often than not, whatever is contained inside the email never happened but is composed to get a point across. Who cares if whatever was written actually happened?

I do. And this is not the point of this post. But if you don’t care then why pass it along unless your only objective is to motivate someone else through fear or anger? And if that’s the case, then you may be a person whose ends justify the means. I find these to be dangerous people and it’s the same people that are in politics with this mentality that so many of these emails are about.

I’ve often thought of compiling a spreadsheet that shows how many times I got the email and from whom – in some cases I get the same ones from the same people over the span of a few years. But what do the emails really do? They convey a message and that’s about it.

I mean, seriously, it takes just a moment a couple of mouse clicks to forward the email on to your next 173 closest Facebook “friends.” But what have your really accomplished? A few people will read it and say “YES!” and forward it on. Some will delete it after reading and some will delete it outright without reading it. You might even inform some of the sheeple out there about an issue that really means something to you.

But that’s it. That’s the extent of your accomplishment. Not very compelling when you think about it.

Do you really want to do something? Then yes, go ahead and forward the email….but rather than telling the next person to forward the email or suffer the consequences how about encouraging them to write their senator, congressmen, and state representative? How about you doing the same thing.

I’ll admit I’m a bit of a hypocrite when it comes to this. On the one hand I know that if we really used the system the way it’s supposed to be used, and voted these assholes out of office that they would really listen to what we have to say. But we don’t do it. You forward your email, nobody writes them, and then we don’t go and vote. So on the other hand I am just as apathetic as you are and often times don’t take the time to write them unless it’s something I am seriously concerned about.

Want to put this bullshit to rest about illegal immigrants? Write your politicians.
Want to make English the official language of the U.S.? Write your politicians.
Want to stop all the bullshit gun control stuff? Write your politicians.
Want to stop all the government spending and crazy bills being passed? Write your politicians.
Want bullfighting midgets coming to your home town? Well, not sure that writing your politicians would help here, but it’s worth a try.

And when it comes time to vote – go vote. Get them out of the office if they can’t do what you want. Come tell me how so-and-so voted for or against something you feel passionate about and get *me* to vote them out of office.

Or, forward your email…. I might read it.

No comments: