Tuesday, February 03, 2009

Too Smart?

I met up with my good friend Stan and his wife Karla for drinks. We were all sitting around talking and Stan told me that he had asked his son(s) if they wanted to come along. They were on the fence about it until Stan said I would be there. Apparently they didn’t want to come, then.

That kind of bothered me so I asked why. Apparently, their youngest son (who is about 22) said that I was too smart. I guess it bothered him. As much as that is a compliment it bothered me that he didn’t want to be around me. I have never though that I make an effort to intimidate people in this fashion – at least not consciously.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

How do i say this?...this actually happens to me all the time. I've actually gone to parties where some people have stopped talking to me. When I ask about it, I was told that she was really intimidated and didn't feel that she had anything to contribute....

It's not like I can pretend to be stupid. I don't do that well. So, I end up just keeping quiet during most parties.