Tuesday, December 25, 2007

Merry Christmas!!


…and the Little Drummer Bastard beats his drum. Sorry, that is a Foamy reference.

But, hey! It’s Christmas morning. No snow on the ground, here. It’s about 45, here and we might get up to 60 today. I should be out riding the bike!!! Last week I was boarding in about four-feet of fresh “cold smoke” powder. The highs were in the 20’s. Here I am outside in shorts and a t-shirt, but at least I’ll get to see my family.

I’ve never been a big Christmas fan. Every since I learned that Santa wasn’t real and the true “meaning” of Christmas I felt that it’s always been completely over commercialized. Then there is the pressure of giving. You have to give to everyone. Christmas cards, cakes, cookies, presents, emails, phone calls, IM’s, etc. It’s never enough. I can’t remember to send something to everyone. If I forgot you this year, I apologize. I certainly didn’t mean to. You just got lost in the mix!!!

And then there are the crowds and throngs of people all fighting to get the latest toy for their kids. Don’t hesitate too long in the grocery isle or as you reach for that last can of chicken broth you will be knocked senseless by some lady wielding a 20lb butter-ball turkey!! Hey man! I just wanted some soup!

Yes, I have no food in the house. I was on vacation for a week and my room mate pretty much scarfed down what was left while I was gone. That’s fine, and I don’t have a problem with it. But I go to the store and the fookers are parked out into the street. Really? You couldn’t have planned ahead just a little better than this? Now I have to starve or eat fast food because I sure as hell am not going in there.

I also seem to associate Christmas with relatives that have passed away either because they died right around Christmas, or that’s just when I really miss them.

So yeah, I guess I am a bit of a scrooge….but what I’d really like is just to get together with family and friends, have a bottle of wine or two, some dinner, and just be thankful that we are able to see each other without all the gift exchange hoopla. Oh…wait, that’s Thanksgiving.

No comments: