Thursday, July 21, 2011

It Ain't Cancer - Part 2

I’ve been doing a lot of research on diabetes. Last weekend, I relaxed a bit and did some more research on the internet. I discovered a few things that I thought were pretty important:

First, I learned that that elevated glucose levels were typically a sign of infection. I read multiple articles indicating that events such as stress, infection, and dental problems in particular will cause you to have elevated glucose levels. I also read there was some correlation of antibiotics and glucose levels, but since you typically are fighting an infection it is not unusual to be on antibiotics. In other words, there may be some correlation, but it isn’t a direct correlation. Well, I had just started treatment for an abscess (dental AND infection). I also had just had a root canal and was pretty stressed out about the whole ordeal (I hate dentists). Even after my tooth broke almost a week after my physical the x-rays showed that the abscess was almost gone, which means I still had it to some extent.

I also read up on things that cause elevated liver enzymes. While it’s true that diabetes and other problems cause elevated liver enzymes so does acetaminophen, ibuprofen, and narcotics. I was taking all three, including triple doses of ibuprofen within 24-48 hours of the test. I still couldn’t find out how long it takes your body to recover and expel all of that from your system, but I would suspect that 48 hours would be the starting point.

And everything I have read up on testing for diabetes indicates you need to have at least two tests with similar results before confirming a diagnosis. I only had one, and now I seriously question the validity of that particular test. I know I said it earlier, but I am now even more convinced that the test needs to be re-done as well as some additional testing, such as the A1C test (thanks mom!).

None of this means that I don’t have diabetes, but it does mean that we (the doc and I) need to re-evaluate the diagnosis before moving forward.

No comments: