Thursday, March 18, 2010

Minimum Card Charges and Donuts

I’ve posted before about some of the merchant service agreements with credit card services such as Visa / MasterCard. One of them is that they do not allow a merchant to enforce a minimum charge limit. I’m not saying you won’t see the signs all over the place and that the merchant won’t try to enforce it, but it is against their agreement and they are not supposed to do so.

The other morning I was at a donut shop with my g/f. I was out of cash (rare for me), but she had some. We ordered some breakfast and got her some coffee. It wasn’t much and I noticed they had a $5.00 minimum credit card sign. I whispered “I feel like charging this just to prove a point.” She said “you don’t want to do that.” The problem is, that I very much DID want to do that. I wanted to cause a scene right then and there and to get the bank on the phone that very moment and tell them to shove their donuts up their ass while Visa jumped their shit for violating their terms.

Now, the foreigners at the donut shop didn’t really deserve that. They surely made an honest mistake, but I didn’t care. I wanted things to be right. I’ve always been like that. In school if I was getting expelled that day for wearing a Slayer t-shirt with a pentagram on it I wanted the other kid getting expelled for having a Jesus t-shirt and a cross on it. My father likes to point out that there is a difference between equal opportunity (liberty) and equal outcomes (suppression). Even as a kid I was a big advocate of equal opportunity and fairness. The hard thing is learning that life is not fair…. But I was really pissed about donuts.

No comments: