Sunday, October 04, 2009

Maybe I need an iPhone

Or a notepad might work just as well. As usual, I go for long periods without writing anything on the blog. It’s not that I don’t have ideas. I have tons of ideas. Maybe too many ideas. But inevitably I feel like it’s too overwhelming to actually write about them. I don’t know if that’s because it’s too much at once, or I am just tired, or not motivated.

I’ve been putting a lot of time into my own website project that is so close to going online I can taste it. The problem is, I have too few people who are taking the beta testing seriously and one of my developers has gotten extremely flakey and unreliable. The combination of the two has me very frustrated right now. But if all goes well I’ll have it online somewhere around the first of the year.

Last week we finally got some really nice weather. It’s starting to cool off at night, and get warm, but not too hot, during the day. I keep the windows open as much as possible as long as the AC isn’t kicking in. This morning I woke up and it was about 70 in the house, which is very nice.

My friends are going camping next weekend. I’m taking a rain check since I am going to fly to Baltimore and D.C. with my g/f. No real reason, let’s just get away for a bit. Hopefully we can catch some of the fall colors and enjoy some good crabs. I love crabs. I don’t care what we do as long as I get my all-you-can eat crabs at some hole in the wall that drags a trash can over to the table for the shells and has cold beer.

Recently I put a quite a bit of time into working with OTRS, which is an open-source trouble ticket software. We need to find something new at work so I am evaluating this one. If anyone works with a good trouble ticket software that they like please let me know about it.

I also started dicking around with Jasper Reports and iReport by Jasperforge. They are reporting packages that are similar to Crystal Reports, but they are open source. The problem is that I don’t really know what I am doing and I don’t recall, nor want to learn, all of the MySQL query stuff to make nice reports. *sigh*

Someone sent me this email pointing out the difference between liberals and conservatives:


This is a generalized view, but hopelessly accurate... Remember this: There are liberal and conservative Democrats, Republicans and Independents. It's not the party, it's the mindset; however, it is a fact that the Democrats have the majority of the liberals.

If a conservative doesn’t like guns , they don’t buy one. If a liberal doesn’t like guns, then no one should have one.

If a conservative is a vegetarian, they don’t eat meat. If a liberal is, they want to ban all meat products for everyone.

If a conservative sees a foreign threat, he thinks about how to defeat his enemy. A liberal wonders how to surrender gracefully and still look good.

If a conservative is homosexual, they quietly enjoy their life. If a liberal is homosexual, they loudly demand legislated respect.

If a black man or Hispanic is conservative, they see themselves as independently successful. Their liberal counterparts see themselves as victims in need of government protection.

If a conservative is down-and-out, he thinks about how to better his situation. A liberal wonders who is going to take care of him.

If a conservative doesn’t like a talk show host, he switches channels. Liberals demand that those they don't like be shut down.

If a conservative is a non-believer, he doesn’t go to church. A liberal wants any mention of God or religion silenced.

If a conservative decides he needs health care, he goes about shopping for it, or may choose a job that provides it. A liberal demands that his neighbors pay for his.


And maybe it is a somewhat fair generalization. But what is not here is the flip-side of the coin. Conservatives are also generally Christian or Jewish and they too try to impose their sense of morality and religious beliefs just like liberals do. Things such as freedom of speech, freedom to do what we want with our own bodies, freedom of homosexuals, etc. have all been attacked by conservatives and the right wing.

But that is what we do. We make an effort to impose what we believe to be a proper sense of life on others via laws. I’m not saying one side is right or justified over the other, but I am saying you can create equally disturbing and grotesque examples of conservatives and right-wing groups.

No comments: