Monday, July 20, 2009

How I Got Banned From Guitar Center

I’m including a copy of the letter I sending them. This makes it easier for me as I won’t have to re-hash everything here in the post. But, if you think your eyes deceived you, they did not. Yes, I have to write a letter via snail mail. Why? Because apparently Guitar Center is a bunch of pussies that don’t list any kind of an email address. Oh sure, you can go on their website and ask questions and stuff but try finding contact information to file a complaint of any kind.

So I have to snail mail it. As soon as I get the list of their executives compiled I’ll get it mailed out. I don’t expect to hear anything back, but you should damned well know someone is pissed off if, in this day and age, they take the time and effort to write a letter and pay postage on the stamps. :)

If this kind of thing bothers you, then I encourage you to do something about it. Stand up for your rights and let these companies know that you will not put up with it. And if they continue to try to enact these illegal policies you’ll simply go somewhere else. I can’t promise you that you won’t have an incident or two that is worse than mine.

And if you feel like writing G.C., then please do so. I’m sure they’d love to get your opinion about their policy.

Guitar Center
5795 Lindero Canyon Rd.
Westlake Village, CA 91362

July 20, 2009

To Whom It May Concern:

I went to your North Arlington, TX store on July 18 to purchase some strings and look at a few other potential purchases such as a Paul Reed Smith guitar, a Mesa Boogie 2x12 cabinet and some recording equipment. After purchasing the strings I continued to shop for a little while before leaving the store.

It was upon leaving the store when I was accosted by your employees. One of the employees asked to see my receipt and I politely declined saying “no thank you.” At that point he exclaimed “Sir!” and proceeded to explain to me that it was his job to check the receipt. Being a previous Guitar Center employee, and having also done door duty, I explained that while I appreciated his position that upon purchase of the items they become private property and I was not going to consent to a search of my personal property.

That was not good enough and he started to become belligerent and again stated that it was his job and I would let him see the receipt. I said “I’m sorry” and proceeded to leave the store. Shortly after, another employee chased me down into the parking lot demanding to see the receipt. I again explained that I would not be consenting to a search of my private property and he began a rebuttal. I was getting pretty agitated, but remained calm and interrupted him to explain that if he was holding me against my will that it would be a violation of the law.

I believe this took him back a bit and he then simply told me that if I would not show him my receipt that I would not be allowed to come back to the store. I said, “That is up to you” at which point we both turned away and walked off.

This seems to be a common theme in retail shops; that being customers standing up for their rights and the stores treating them like criminals. There is no Texas State or federal law that grants Guitar Center or its employees the right to search the private property of an individual without consent or reasonable suspicion, and shopping at your store does not constitute reasonable suspicion.

It’s interesting that your employees never asked to see the contents of my bag. They only asked to see my receipt. Seeing a receipt wouldn’t make any difference if I had stuffed something in my pockets. I don’t blame your employees for trying to do their job but this is clearly an issue of policy and education. Guitar Center has every right to ask to see my receipt or the contents of my bag. However, I have every right to decline without further incident.

In today’s struggling economy it would seem prudent to educate your employees on the legal limitations of your policies rather than alienate your customer base by treating them like criminals. If Guitar Center wishes to enforce this policy of violating people’s rights, I might suggest posting a large and clearly conspicuous sign indicating the intent and grant of a license prior to entering the store. At least consumers could then make an educated and informed decision without further incident. I would further suggest you consult with your legal counsel as this practice may still violate state or federal law.

In closing I’d like to reiterate that it’s important to me to exercise my rights as a U.S. citizen and I take offence to being accosted and treated like a criminal for doing so. Being “banned” from your store is an absurd, excessive, and inappropriate course of action because I elected to decline your offer of a personal search.

No comments: