Monday, December 15, 2008

Excess

Sometimes I just don’t get it.

Kind of like the Americanized Sushi thing. I like sushi and am fortunate enough to travel around a bit and find some good sushi places. But more and more, these formerly good sushi places have been turning into an exercise in them figuring out a creative way to serve you something fried with mayonnaise.

About a month ago Bling! and I went to a decent sushi place with his wife. I got frustrated looking over the menu because unless I went with sashimi (fish – no rice) or nagiri (fish over rice) there pretty much wasn’t anything on the menu that wasn’t fried, had mayonnaise on it…or both. Bling! asked what was wrong and I told him. I didn’t get much sympathy from him or Mrs. Bling!

I’ve never been to Japan….yet. But I am pretty sure that their sushi rolls aren’t all fried, contain avocado and have mayonnaise. Some traditional places in CA that I found hardly have any of those things and the sushi is fantastic. Why do we have to Americanize it?

Then, last night I went to go see Transporter 3. I wasn’t expecting a great flick, so I wasn’t too disappointed when it was a bit of a let down. It’s an action film like you would expect but movies are going so far over the top now that you have to really make an effort to suspend disbelief.

That wasn’t what got me, though. What got me was the excessive amount of bass throughout the entire film. I don’t know if this was from the mix of the movie, or because the theater had the bass cranked up. Either way, it was very annoying.

Don’t get me wrong….I love a good subwoofer and when something blows up I want to hear it and feel it as if my hair was about to be singed off. But people walking around or shutting a car door should not elicit concern that my testicles are going to be vibrated into a pulpy mess because the subs were turned up too loud.

I’ve noticed this same trend in radio broadcasting. Broadcaster are turning up the bass on everything. Commercials are the worst, but I’ve even noticed talk radio having some kind of funky low-end tone playing for an unknown reason. Even music that I am very familiar with suddenly has the bass cranked up if it’s coming off the radio.

I don’t get it.

No comments: