Monday, February 11, 2008

A Year in the Making

A little over a year ago I was on my way home from Montana. Since I had spent a considerable amount of time there and my house was painfully devoid of artwork I wanted to get a nice panoramic photo of some mountains and scenery to hang in the house.

I shopped at several galleries, and almost picked up a photo or two but nothing ever quite struck me as what I wanted to see. What my mind “sees” when I think of Montana. Then, one day I was up at Moonlight Basin getting some runs in and there it was!! Up on the wall was a gorgeous photo showing Loan Peak Mountain, the Spanish Peaks mountain range, some water, trees, etc. THIS was the photo I wanted, but I had little chance of sneaking it out of the building considering it was roughly 20 feet long.

Because MLB is a client of mine I had an “in” and asked if I could get a print of the photo that was hanging on the wall. It took some time and they finally decided that I could get a print of it. Because of the size of the photo it could only be printed on canvas.

Over the course of the next year there were many email exchanges discuss price, if it was being done, etc. Part of the problem is that the printers kepts losing the emails and then “forgetting” about them. I felt bad because I didn’t want to bug the girl at MLB that I was working with. She was great, though, and kept working with me through the process.

Finally, they emailed me and told me it was done!! The total cost was a fraction of what I thought it would be so I was really happy about that. I got the check in the mail that very day and about a week later my tube finally showed up in the mail.

I promptly took it down to several frame shops to get it quoted and ended up going with Aaron Brothers. Bling! had suggested I try them out and not only did they have a great price but they were really wonderful to work with.

I picked it up last night and while it would have been easier to wait and have a friend help me hang it, I made a beverage and grabbed a tape measure, a level, a laser level, a pencil, two ladders, and a notepad. It really wasn’t that painful, and I got it hung in a little under an hour while taking my time and sipping on my beverage.

Here is the product!! I haven’t decided if I got the height right or not. I might move it down a little bit, but I am going to let it sit there for a week and see if I like it or not. It also needs some additional lighting and that may take me a little while to get around to.

But finally….after a year…..


No comments: